Thursday 17 April 2014

Tuning experiments

The first try tuning a Padouk bar was not very successful: It should have been a G#, but it ended up as the F below, and the 2nd and 3rd overtone were not quite where they should be.

Also, cutting the arc with the jigsaw was not accurate, and sanding such a big amount of wood has never been an option for me.

So I bought a router!And tried my tuning skills on some spruce bars. Results look promising: Routing at the node positions for f1, f4 and f10, the removal of material provided an immediate effect on the frequencies. More tests to come, here are just some pics from the workshop.

My name is Robot, Router Robot :)

Practice on spruce bars. More about the groove on the ends later, when I cover the theory and method in more detail.

The first Padouk bar, not quite there where it should be.

No comments:

Post a Comment